Pimsleur Language Programs and the Assimil Method are two different language learning methods that use a combination of audio, text, and interactive exercises to teach people a new language. In this article, we discuss Pimsleur vs Assimil and try to show you which one of these is the best fit for you.
Pimsleur programs are usually more expensive than the Assimil method. They also have more setup costs like voice actors needed for practice dialogues and online subscriptions. The Pimsleur method is based on listening to something in your target language while learning new vocabulary words at the same time. This happens through audio recordings with native speakers which you will hear every day as part of your lessons. With this method, you will learn how native speakers really speak so you can start speaking like them after some time in the program.
The Assimil method uses a mixture of text-based activities and interactive exercises to teach vocabulary. The way you can use the Assimil method is by
- Interaction with text
- Oral Practice
Introduction: What are the Pimsleur Method and Assimil Methods and Why Should I Choose Them?
Pimsleur Language Programs is a language-learning software that uses a method called “the sound of one hand clapping” to teach languages. It offers various courses including French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese. Assimil is a language-learning software that uses the “Assimil system” to teach languages. It offers classes such as French, Spanish, German and Italian. Let us go more in-depth on Pimsleur vs Assimil.
Pimsleur Language Programs:
- The Pimsleur Method is based on the idea of “one hand clapping” where you learn by listening and speaking through short lessons that you practice with repetition.
- It has several audio courses for different levels in different languages which are taught through four main steps: listening comprehension; speaking recognition; conversational proficiency; fluency.
Here is how you can learn a new language learning with Assimil Method:
- Close your eyes while listening to the text so you are not distracted by the spelling. You may not understand everything clearly, but it is ok. The sound of the entire text will help you gain an overall impression of what is being said and what follows immediately afterward
- Take a second listen while looking at the English translation
- Read the text aloud (with the assistance of phonetic transcription if necessary). Make sure you understand each sentence, making comparisons with the translations as needed.
- Now re-read the text without looking at the translation
- Try to listen to the recording twice, once while looking at the English translation, and once while looking at the target text.
- If you can’t hear the recording clearly, close your book and listen again.
- Listen to the recording once more. Stop the machine after each sentence and speak those copies aloud.
- Take your time to read through the comments. They are explained more in-depth so it is important to give them the amount of attention they deserve.
- Check out the examples of sentence structure. The language is not exactly the same as in English, but sometimes similar.
The Pros & Cons of Using Pimsleurs to Learn a New Language (keyword: pros & cons of using pimsleurs)
Pimsleur’s is one of the most popular language-learning tools. It offers a unique and interactive way to learn a new language through audio and video.
- The app is meant to be engaging and interactive, which makes it easier for people to learn the language while they’re on the go.
- It uses natural voices with no accents, which makes pronunciation easy for learners who are still learning their native tongue’s sounds and pronunciations.
- It allows learners to learn at their own pace, at their own convenience as they can pick up as much or as little information as they need at any given time.
- Some lessons can be repetitive due to being similar formats, which is why AI is used to create innovative content that will keep learners on their toes and interested.
- It also doesn’t focus on reading & writing, so if that’s what you need then this might not be a good option.;
- The course is designed for English speakers only and may be a little more challenging for those who do not. speak English;
- you won’t be learning informal language like slang & colloquialisms when using this app.;
- It can get quite expensive based on the language you are learning.
The Difference Between Pimsleur Vs Assimil Method
Pimsleur is a language learning system that helps learners learn a language by using audio-visual techniques. This method comes with its own set of challenges, such as:
Pimsleur does not teach you how to read and write in the target language.
Assimil is a language course that teaches you grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and syntax. It also provides “easy to read dialogues” that make learning the target language easier. This method would be more suitable for someone who is self-motivated and knows they want to learn French or Spanish.
Pimsleur may seem like it’s a waste of time because you only learn 5-6 words in 30 minutes. However, the more you learn, the less time it takes to learn. On average, Pod101 requires 10-12 words to be learned per 15 minutes. Michel Thomas also uses a faster pace. The content quality though can be difficult to compare, and it’s mainly an app focused on grammar. People recommend Pimsleur to those who want to learn a new language, though typically they don’t stay with it long-term. For advanced learners, they recommend using the Pimsleur method at the beginning of an intensive learning window, but this is not always relevant as different approaches can and do suit those who prefer it that way.
Assimil is very popular because they offer a lot of learning opportunities–almost every book has 100 lessons, and it claims to lead you up to B2 level. There is no doubt that Assimil courses cover a lot more words, grammar, and idioms than most other courses. This gives you a serious jump-start on learning or traveling abroad. All Assimil courses appeal to different people. Some people like the older ones, while others prefer the more modern releases.
How to Choose between Pimsleur and Assimil’s?-Picking The Right Audio Language Program for You
Pimsleur and Assimil are two of the most popular audio language learning programs out there. But which one is better? There are quite a few differences between these two programs, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Consider your learning needs and the difficulty level of the languages you want to learn next time when deciding what to use.
Pimsleur offers you a “one size fits all” solution where you will be taught slowly but surely, in bite-sized pieces. On the other hand, Assimil offers you flexibility with a range of different speed levels that cater to your learning needs and progress.
If you are still asking “What is the result for me for the comparison of Pimsleur vs Assimil”, the best way to decide between these two programs is by considering how much time and effort you can commit to learning another language, as well as how those methods fit your learning style.