TOEIC vs TOEFL
If you are a non-native English speaker looking to move abroad either for work or for study purposes, you must learn all about the TOEIC vs TOEFL tests. These tests will be extremely important in your life before you can take a step towards your goal. Both the TOEIC and TOEFL tests are aimed at measuring the English language skills of the individual. While both tests’ objective is similar, there are a few differences that distinguish them from each other.
In this article, you will learn about all these differences to understand the pros and cons of taking both tests. You will be able to decide which test you should give that will suit your requirements in a better way. As this decision may be crucial for your studies and employment, you must properly analyze all the components.
What is the main aim of TOEIC and TOEFL tests?
The TOEIC test (Test of English for International Communication), is a broader examination that can be taken by both the students as well as the working professionals. This test focuses on the English language skills of various individuals from the workspace point of view. This test analyses the communication skills in individuals that are required in the corporate world. The main objective of this test is to examine English professional skills.
The TOEFL test (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a type of examination that the students could only take to assess their English language skills from an academic point of view. The main reason why people take this test is to help with their studies abroad.
Talking about TOEIC vs TOEFL, the TOEFL test is different from TOEIC as it is generally aimed at academic English rather than professional English. This is also why the TOEFL test is focused on the students aiming for further studies abroad, whereas, the TOEIC is focused on anyone who wishes to work professionally in abroad.
For more information about the TOEFL test please check out the following link: https://www.ets.org/toefl/test-takers/ibt/scores/getting
TOEIC vs TOEFL which is harder?
When talking about the test that is a bit harder than the other one, it could be said that both the tests could be aced with the right amount of preparation and understanding. If you can pass TOEIC, you would also be able to pass TOEFL and vice versa. Your preparation is the key as it will help you clear both the tests easily.
However, if you talk about the exam’s general difficulty level, there are a few things to consider.
TOEIC vs TOEFL difficulty level:
- The TOEIC Exam length is about 2 hours long compared to the TOEFL exam, which is 3 hours long. This means that the TOEIC exam is 2 hours shorter than the TOEFL exam.
- The TOEFL exam’s main focus is to assess the individual’s English understanding, speaking, and writing skills. Whereas, the TOEIC only focuses on listening as well as reading skills.
- The TOEIC test does not require you to have technical vocabulary skills. However, the TOEFL test needs you to have proper knowledge regarding the same.
- The TOEFL test focuses on academic subjects such as sciences, history, and more. These will be involved in the test discussion. Whereas, the TOEIC test only involves discussions related to the workplace and professional environment.
Keeping these factors in mind, one can easily judge which test would be easier for them to take.
Is Toeic harder than TOEFL?
Based on the previous discussion, one can easily evaluate TOEIC vs TOEFL’s differences in terms of their difficulty level.
It could be said that the TOEFL test is slightly difficult compared to the TOEIC test. This is based on the following observations:
- TOEFL has a 1-hour longer test duration which makes it more difficult.
- TOEFL test focuses on various aspects of the English language, making it more difficult than TOEFL that only requires you to be proficient in reading and listening.
- The TOEFL test requires technical knowledge, making it more difficult than the TOEIC that is not that complicated.
- You do not need to have an in-depth academic understanding to give TOEIC, but you need to have that for TOEFL.
All these points make TOEFL a harder test to give than the TOEIC.
Which colleges ask for TOEFL vs TOEIC?
The TOEFL test is widely accepted by various schools, colleges, and universities. As this test focuses more on the academic aspect of English, it is more easily accepted in academic institutions worldwide than the TOEIC test.
Various schools and universities also accept the TOEIC test. However, the TOEFL is mostly preferred by all of them. This happens because the TOEFL test focuses on all aspects of academic English knowledge, such as reading, listening, writing, and more. In comparison to this, the TOEIC only focuses on professional English, lacking in some academic requirements.
This does not mean that the TOEIC is not as valuable as TOEFL. It is just that the TOEIC is better from a business perspective, so it is preferred in professional areas compared to academic institutions.
This means that you should take the TOEFL test in the case of TOEIC vs TOEFL if you wish to study at a university. If you wish to work in the corporate world, you can choose TOEIC instead.
Is TOEIC American or British?
The TOEIC exam is an assessment of English language skills that were developed in North America. This means that it is an American test and not a British one. This test is widely accepted in all areas of America as well as some other English-speaking countries.
Now that you know all about both the tests’ basic details, you can choose the one suitable for your requirements. You can now analyze the benefits of TOEIC vs TOEFL easily without any hassles!